C# | How to add key/value pairs in SortedList
SortedList class is a collection of (key, value) pairs which are sorted according to keys. Those pairs can be accessible by key and as well as by index(zero-based indexing). This comes under System.Collections namespace. SortedList.Add(Object, Object) Method is used to add an element with the specified key and value to a SortedList object.
Properties of SortedList:
- Internally the object of SortedList maintain the two arrays. First array is used to store the elements of the list i.e. keys and the second one is used to store the associated values.
- A key cannot be null but value can be.
- As SortedList used sorting which makes it slower in compare to Hashtable.
- The capacity of a SortedList can be dynamically increased through reallocation.
- The keys in the SortedList cannot be duplicated but values can be.
- The SortedList can be sorted according to the keys using the IComparer(Either in ascending or descending order).
public virtual void Add (object key, object value);
key: It is the key of the element which is to be added.
value: It is the value of the element which is to be added. The value can be null.
- ArgumentNullException: If the key is null.
- ArgumentException: If the element with the specified key is already exists in the SortedList object or SortedList is set to use the IComparable interface and the key does not implement the IComparable interface.
- NotSupportedException: If the SortedList is read-only or has a fixed size.
- OutOfMemoryException: If there is not enough available memory in the system to add the pairs to the SortedList.
- InvalidOperationException: If the comparer throws an exception.
Below programs illustrate the use of above discussed method:
Chemistry: 96 CSE : 100 English : 99 Maths : 98 Physics : 97
System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: ‘Chemistry’ Key being added: ‘Chemistry’
at System.Collections.SortedList.Add (System.Object key, System.Object value) in :0
at Geeks.Main (System.String args) in :0
Please Login to comment...