For the last 40-45 years, C is one of the most popular and highly recognized programming languages across the world. In fact, it is the first programming language of a huge number of individuals (including Me!). Indeed it is strongly recommended to start your programming journey with C language as it helps to understand a lot of underlying processes on the ground level that enhances your fundamental knowledge & boosts your confidence which further makes it easier for you to learn other high-level programming languages as well. Also, proficiency in C Programming offers you various career opportunities that can prompt you to take it into consideration and start learning the C Language!!
Meanwhile, C was developed by Dennis Ritchie and it is a procedural programming language. The language was principally developed as a system programming language to write an operating system and is used in the development of various major platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, etc. Moreover, C language has a rich library that provides various built-in functions and offers dynamic memory allocation as well. Here in this article, we will discuss the thorough curriculum or pathway that one must follow to learn C Language in just 20 days!
1. Introduction to C Language (Day: 1)
This is the first and foremost thing you need to do – To know and understand the nature of C Language! You’re required to go through the fundamentals of the C Language such as the origin of the language, its features & applications, how to compile and run a C program, etc. Furthermore, you need to create your first C program as well to get a better understanding of C programming. In this initial stage, you’re required to get familiar with the basics of the language as much as you can!
- C Language Introduction
- Features of C Language
- Benefits of C over other languages
- Compilation of C program
- Hello World Program in C
2. Go Through Variables, Data Types & Operators (Day: 2-3)
While learning a programming language, you must need to know about the variables, how to define and store them (datatypes), how to perform logical and mathematical operations (operators), etc. prior to any other programming concepts. These topics can be considered as the basic necessity to learn C programming skills. Meanwhile, you need to cover here several other related topics as well such as how are variables scoped in C, how to perform typecasting in C, type of operators, etc.
3. Understand the Control Flow Statements (Day: 4-5)
Now, it’s time to understand the process that controls the flow of a program’s execution. You are required to know what are the control statements & how to implement them. There are various concerning topics such as Conditional Statements, Loops, Jump Statements, and many more. After having a theoretical understanding of these concepts, you can opt for their implementation as well through solving programming questions and creating basic programs. You are also recommended to cover several additional topics like Switch Statements, Continue Statement, Break Statement, etc for more clarification.
- Loops in C
- Decision Making Statements
- Switch Statement in C
- Continue Statement | Break Statement
- C Loops & Control Structure Practice Questions
4. Learn Array & String Handling in C (Day: 6-7)
After going through the control flow statements, now you’re required to know about Arrays & String Handling in C. Precisely, an array is a collection of data that holds a fixed number of values of the same type whereas Strings are actually one-dimensional array of characters terminated by a null character ‘\0’. You need to understand how to declare an Array & access its elements, what are the multidimensional arrays, string library functions, and other relevant topics.
- Arrays in C
- Strings in C
- Multidimensional Arrays in C
- String functions in C
- Single-quoted & Double-quoted declaration of the char array
5. Get Familiar with Function in C (Day: 8-10)
Once you’ll get done with the above-mentioned topics, now you need to know about the pillar of the C programming language – Functions in C. A Function is a block of code that performs a specific task or computation. You need to know about user-defined and standard library functions, function prototypes in C, function calling – call by value and call by reference, and various others. Meanwhile, you’re also required to go through several other crucial topics such as storage class, recursion, etc. to understand the Functions in C effectively.
- Functions in C
- Function Prototype
- Parameter Passing Techniques in C
- Storage Classes in C
- Recursion Concept
6. Learn about Pointers, Structures, and Unions (Day: 11-13)
Okay, let’s dive deeper into the world of C programming with some more in-depth concepts like Pointers, Structures, Unions, and many more. In short, a Pointer is a variable that stores the address of another variable or a memory location. Moreover, Structures, Union, Enum, etc. are the user-defined data type having their own functionalities and specifications. You need to know about how to declare and Initialize Pointers, about Double Pointer, how to definie Structure & Union, and other related concepts.
- Pointers in C | Double Pointer
- Structures | Union | Enumeration (or enum) in C
- Declare a pointer to a function
- Pointer vs Array in C
- Operations on struct variables in C
7. Understand Dynamic Memory Allocation & LinkedList (Day: 14-17)
Furthermore, you need to understand the concepts like Dynamic allocation of memory, Linked list, etc. The Dynamic Memory Allocation is the process of allocating memory manually during run-time. You’re required to learn Dynamic Memory Allocation in C using malloc(), calloc(), free() and realloc(). Moreover, a linked list is a linear data structure where each node contains a data field and a reference to the next node in the list. You also need to cover several other appropriate data structures such as Stack, Queue, etc. as Data Structure is the backbone of each programming language.
- Dynamic Memory Allocation in C
- Linked List Data Structure
- Memory Leak
- Stack | Queue
- Difference between malloc and calloc
8. Learn about File Management & Preprocessors in C (Day: 18-20)
Lastly, you’re required to get a thorough understanding of File Management & Preprocessors in C language. File Handling in C concerns with various operations such as creation, opening, reading, writing, moving to a specific location, and closing a file. You are required to learn about the functions used for performing these operations, etc. Moreover, you need to know about C Preprocessor which is used automatically to transform your program before actual compilation. It will also help you to understand the architecture of C programming.
- File Handling in C
- Multiline macros in C
- Merge the content of two files into a third one
- Preprocessor in C
- Preprocessor directives
After following the above-given pathway, you’ll be able to implement and showcase your skills in C programming to achieve your career goals. Also, the curriculum is not too complex or time-consuming to follow as all you need to go through few topics each day and you’ll cover the entire syllabus in a mere 20 days. So, without any delay, dive into the C programming world and enhance your programming skills for various career opportunities!
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Learn C++ Programming Step by Step - A 20 Day Curriculum!
- Programming For Beginners: 10 Best HTML Coding Practices You Must Know
- 5 Programming Tips For Beginners
- Android App Development Fundamentals for Beginners
- Best Books to Learn Python for Beginners and Experts in 2019
- Best Books To Learn Machine Learning For Beginners And Experts
- Best Books to Learn Java for Beginners and Experts
- Top 10 Projects For Beginners To Practice HTML and CSS Skills
- How To Learn ReactJS: A Complete Guide For Beginners
- 7 Common Mistakes That Beginners Should Avoid While Learning to Code
- 5 Machine Learning Project Ideas for Beginners
- Best Books to Learn Data Science for Beginners and Experts
- Art Of Reconnaissance | Techniques for beginners
- Geeks Coding Challenge [GCC 2019] - A Three Day Coding Challenge By GeeksforGeeks
- 8 Cyber Security Threats That Can Ruin Your Day in 2020
- Difference between Functional Programming and Object Oriented Programming
- Top 10 Programming Languages of 2015
- A basic Python Programming Challenge
- Fast I/O for Competitive Programming
- Socket Programming in C/C++: Handling multiple clients on server without multi threading
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.