You might have came across these statements, C is more optimised or performance of C is better than higher languages, so I’ll be discussing the reasons for this hypothesis.
First let’s list out functionalities which are provided by languages like Java and not C :
- Array index bound checking
- Uninitialized variable values checking
- Check for memory leaks
- Check for null pointer dereference
- Automatic garbage collection
- Run-time type checking
- Exception handling
and there are more such features which are not present in C.
Extra features comes at cost and the cost includes decreased speed and increased size.
Let’s take an example for dynamic allocation in C and Java
MyClass obj = new MyClass();
Did you considered size of obj, the answer is No. The reason being it is automatically handled by language itself in background and you don’t have to write specific code for it.
But in case of C
struct MyStruct *obj = malloc(sizeof(struct MyStruct));
As you can see in above code the tasks of assigning reference to pointer, allocation of size is done explictly by programmer and at last free up allocated memory.
The array bound check is supported by Thumb Execution Environment (ThumbEE), its other features includes automatic null pointer checks on every load and store instruction, an special instruction that call a handler.
Another reason is closeness of C to the Assembly language, in most of the cases its instructions directly map to assembly language, C is only one or level two levels of abstraction away from assembly language while Java is at minimum 3 levels abstraction away from assembler.
This article is contributed by Mandeep Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- getchar_unlocked() - faster input in C/C++ for Competitive Programming
- Benefits of C language over other programming languages
- Why are elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop?
- Role of SemiColon in various Programming Languages
- Top 10 Programming Languages for Blockchain Development
- Format specifiers in different Programming Languages
- Which will be faster while(1) or while(2)?
- Strict Aliasing Rule in C with Examples
- Difference between C and Dart
- Difference between Sentinel and Counter Controlled Loop in C
- Why do we need reference variables if we have pointers
- What are the differences between C and Embedded C?
- Macros and its types in C/C++
- Draw a smiley face using Graphics in C language