There are 2 sorted arrays A and B of size n each. Write an algorithm to find the median of the array obtained merging the above 2 arrays(i.e. array of length 2n). The complexity should be O(log(n)).
Note : Since size of the set for which we are looking for median is even (2n), we need take average of middle two numbers and return floor of the average.
Method 1 (Simply count while Merging)
Use merge procedure of merge sort. Keep track of count while comparing elements of two arrays. If count becomes n(For 2n elements), we have reached the median. Take the average of the elements at indexes n-1 and n in the merged array. See the below implementation.
Median is 16
Method 2 (By comparing the medians of two arrays)
This method works by first getting medians of the two sorted arrays and then comparing them.
Median is 5
Please refer complete article on Median of two sorted arrays of same size for more details!
- Performance analysis of Row major and Column major order of storing arrays in C
- Create Directory or Folder with C/C++ Program
- C Program to Swap two Numbers
- C Program for Bubble Sort on Linked List
- C program to invert (making negative) an image content in PGM format
- C Program for Selection Sort
- C Program for Bubble Sort
- C Program for Insertion Sort
- C Program for Radix Sort
- C/C++ Program for n-th Fibonacci number
- C Program for Counting Sort
- C Program for Binary Search (Recursive and Iterative)
- C Program for Min Cost Path
- C/C++ Program for Longest Increasing Subsequence
- C Program for Pancake sorting