A Data warehouse is a heterogeneous collection of different data sources organized under unified schema. Builders should take a broad view of the anticipated use of the warehouse while constructing a data warehouse. During the design phase, there is no way to anticipate all possible queries or analyses. Some characteristic of Data warehouse are:
- Subject oriented
- Time Variant
Building a Data Warehouse –
Some steps that are needed for building any data warehouse are as following below:
- To extract the data (transnational) from different data sources:
For building a data warehouse, a data is extracted from various data sources and that data is stored in central storage area. For extraction of the data Microsoft has come up with an excellent tool. When you purchase Microsoft SQL Server, then this tool will be available at free of cost.
- To transform the transnational data:
There are various DBMS where many of the companies stores their data. Some of them are: MS Access, MS SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase etc. Also these companies saves the data in spreadsheets, flat files, mail systems etc. Relating a data from all these sources is done while building a data warehouse.
- To load the data (transformed) into the dimensional database:
After building a dimensional model, the data is loaded in the dimensional database. This process combines the several columns together or it may split one field into the several columns. There are two stages at which transformation of the data can be performed and they are: while loading the data into the dimensional model or while data extraction from their origins.
- To purchase a front-end reporting tool:
There are top notch analytical tools are available in the market. These tools are provided by the several major vendors. A cost effective tool and Data Analyzer is released by the Microsoft on its own.
For the warehouse there is an acquisition of the data. There must be a use of multiple and heterogeneous sources for the data extraction, example databases. There is a need for the consistency for which formation of data must be done within the warehouse. Reconciliation of names, meanings and domains of data must be done from unrelated sources. There is also a need for the installation of the data from various sources in the data model of the warehouse.
Conversion of the data might be done from object oriented, relational or legacy databases to a multidimensional model. One of the largest labor demanding component of data warehouse construction is data cleaning, which is one of the complex process. Before loading of the data in the warehouse, there should be cleaning of the data. All the work of loading must be done in warehouse for better performance. The only feasible and better approach for it is incremental updating. Data storage in the data warehouse:
- Refresh the data
- To provide the time variant data
- To store the data as per the data model of the warehouse
- Purging the data
- To support the updating of the warehouse data
Some of the important designs for the data warehouse are:
- Modular component design
- Consideration of the parallel architecture
- Consideration of the distributed architecture
- Usage protection
- Characteristics of available sources
- Design of the metadata component
- The fit of the data model
The major determining characteristics for the design of the warehouse is the architecture of the organizations distributed computing environment. The distributed warehouse and the federated warehouse are the two basic distributed architecture.There are some benefits from the distributed warehouse, some of them are:
Federated warehouse is a decentralized confederation of autonomous data warehouses. Each of them has its own metadata repository.Now a days large organizations start choosing a federated data marts instead of building a huge data warehouse.
- Difference between Data Warehouse and Data Mart
- ETL Process in Data Warehouse
- Data Warehouse Architecture
- Characteristics and Functions of Data warehouse
- Fact Constellation in Data Warehouse modelling
- Star Schema in Data Warehouse modeling
- Snowflake Schema in Data Warehouse Model
- Data Replication in DBMS
- Difference between Row oriented and Column oriented data stores in DBMS
- Building a Basic Chrome Extension
- Resume Building - Resources and Tips
- Difference between Data Scientist, Data Engineer, Data Analyst
- Building a terminal based online dictionary with Python and bash
- Learning Model Building in Scikit-learn : A Python Machine Learning Library
- Characteristics of Biological Data (Genome Data Management)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.