BNY Mellon Interview Experience (Off-Campus)
I got the interview opportunity through the “Code Divas Diversity Challenge 2020” organized by BNY Mellon on HackerEarth.
There were 4 coding questions. The time duration was 3 hours.
Two of them were based on Dynamic Programming, one of them was of the digit DP, and the other was similar to the jump game question. Contestants who scored more than 55% marks got interview opportunities.
- 2021 batch: Full-time SDE role + 6 months intern (only if college permits 6 months intern)
- 2022 batch: 2 months intern
Round 1(Codepair on HackerRank Duration 1hr):
- Coding question: https://leetcode.com/problems/minimum-number-of-taps-to-open-to-water-a-garden/
- Tell me about your favorite algorithms, explain one of them, and write the code for the same.
- What is a BST, what are other types of trees?
- Theoretical questions based on the Graph data structure.
- What are the most important things in Graph theory?
- Where graph traversals algorithms are used? Tell about different traversal algorithms and write the order of printing of nodes in the inorder and pre-order traversal.
- Some general questions.
- Any questions for me?
Round 2(Codepair on HackerRank Duration 1hr):
- Coding question: https://leetcode.com/problems/linked-list-cycle-ii/
- Coding question: https://leetcode.com/problems/palindromic-substrings/
- SQL query –> Employee and department table is given you need to find the salary of employees in each department
- What is Lambda?
- What is a virtual function?
- What is docker? What is cloud computing? (I didn’t mention these in my resume)
- Do you know Java? I said I know the basics, so – What is the entry point of a code in Java? Tell the syntax? Why main is static?
- Tell me about Switch & Hub. Which data structure is used in switches?
- TCP vs UDP
- Find how you can generate a given sequence of numbers from the BST shown on the whiteboard.
- Which databases have you used? Difference between SQL and NoSQL.
- What servers have you used?
- What is the CAP theorem?
- Any questions for me?
Round 2(Technical + Managerial on Cisco WebEx Duration 30min):
- Tell me about the previous rounds.
- Favourite programming language?
- Do you know about the maps? Tell me something about it.
- How hashing is done?
- What is the Hash function? What will happen if a hash function returns 1 always?
- Difference between map and unordered map
- The interviewer discussed a lot about maps.
- Discussed automation project which was mentioned in my resume.
- What are the challenges that you’ve faced till now?
- What technology you’ve worked on? Why you choose Django? What is ORM?
- Which databases have you used? Where have you used it?
- Do you have any leadership experience?
- What do you know about BNY Mellon and why you want to join it?
Any questions for me?
I applied only for a Full-time SDE role. Got a positive response.
Hey geek! It’s time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!