As per Oxford English Dictionary Big data is “data of a very large size, typically to the extend that its manipulation and management present logistical challenges”.Big Data refers to technologies and initiatives that involve data that is too diverse, fast-changing or massive for conventional technologies, skills and infrastructure to address efficiently.
But nowadays with the help of new technologies it is very easy to realize value of Big data, for example to identity shopping behavioral trends of costumers to improve stockage, pricing of the items.Government processes are also get benefits and banking institutions are capturing data and customer interaction to model risk and fraud.
Benefits in IT sectors:
- Many old IT companies are fully depends on big data in order to modernise their outdated mainframes by identifying the root causes of failures and issues in real time and antiquated code bases.Many organisation are replacing their tradition system with open source platforms like Hadoop.
- Most big data solutions are based on hadoop, which is designs to scale up from single machine to thousands of machines ,each offering local computation and storage,moreover it is “free” open source platforms , allowing minimizing capital investment of an organisation in acquiring new platforms.
- With the help of big data technologies IT companies are able to processed fast the third-party data that is often hard to understand at once by having inherently high-horsepower and parallelized working of platforms.
Benefits of Big Data in Business:
- Data quality has a direct impact on business process efficiency.In purchase to pay process, poor quality vendors data can cause missing of purchase contracts or pricing information which can lead to delays in procuring vital goods.Many company using big data solutions or algorithms to simply do what they have already been doing , so that there is no data loss moreover if we run the algorithm against the data set ,the result might the list of individual who exhibits attributes of fraudulent behavior.
- In order to cash process ,incomplete or inaccurate credit limits or pricing information can lead overall customer service lost or reduce revenue or may increase service cost ,with the help of big data technologies and ability to run various algorithm more quickly ,the data can be updated at regular intervals throughout the day.
- The systematic analysis of data or data profiling is used to assess the overall health of the data which lead to proper business decisions in accordance with present situation because sometimes inaccurate data results in incorrect management,means business decisions are based on incorrect information .For example the more one can understand about costumers complex relationships, preference, and interaction history with company, the more relevant and timely once business outreach.
Benefits in Enterprise :
- Big data might allow a company to collect trillions or billions of real-time data points on its products, resources, or costumers- and then repackage the data instantaneously to optimize customer experience .
- Speed at which data updated using big data technologies allow enterprises to more quickly and accurately respond to customer demands.For example MetLife used MongoDB to quickly consolidate customer information over 70 different source and provide single , rapidly-updated view
- Big data can help enterprises to act more nimbly allowing them to adopt to changes faster than their competitors.
Benefits in Other Areas:
- Big data technologies used to predict the ‘buy’ and ‘sell’ decisions made on a share of different companies for the costumers.
- Hospitals are analysing medical data and records to predict those patients that are likely to seek readmission within a few months of discharge.The hospital can the avoid costly stay of patients in hospital.
- Search-Engine retrieve lots of Data from different data bases in fractional of seconds using big data technologies .For example Google use MapReduce algorithm to search for a given query. MapReduce divides the task into small parts and assigns those parts to many computers connected over the network, and collect the result to form the final result.
- Financial Services organisation are using big data for data minning about customer interactions to slice and dice their users into finely tuned segments, this will help in creating increasingly relevant and sophisticated offers.
- Insurance companies are using Big Data analysis to see which home insurance application can be immediately processed, and which ones need a validating in-person visit from an agent.
- Web-based business are developing information products that combine data gathered from customers to offer more appealing recommendations and more successful coupon programs.
- Benefits of IoT for transportation sector
- Benefits of Using Modern Learning Apps
- Benefits of writing GATE exam
- Benefits of Automated Cross-Browser Testing for Online Business
- Difference between Data Scientist, Data Engineer, Data Analyst
- How Big Data Artificial Intelligence is Changing the Face of Traditional Big Data?
- Types of Sources of Data in Data Mining
- Difference between a Data Analyst and a Data Scientist
- 5 V's of Big Data
- Big Data as a Technology
- The World of Big Data
- What is Structured Data?
- Big Challenges with Big Data
- Youtube Data API | Set-1
- Youtube Data API | Set-2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.