In this article, we are going to talk about two important part of the computer system, that is Bare machine and Resident monitor. So first let’s study about them that how they are important for the operating systems.
The Bare Machine and Resident Monitor are not directly related to the operating system but while we study about memory management these components are really important to study, so let’s study them one by one and then their working.
So basically Bare machine is logical hardware which is used to execute the program in the processor without using the operating system. as of now, we have studied that we can’t execute any process without the Operating system. But yes with the help of the Bare machine we can do that.
Initially, when the operating systems are not developed, the execution of an instruction is done by directly on hardware without using any interfering hardware, at that time the only drawback was that the Bare machines accepting the instruction in only machine language, due to this those person who has sufficient knowledge about Computer field are able to operate a computer. so after the development of the operating system Bare machine is referred to as inefficient.
In this section, if we talk about how the code runs on Bare machines, then this component is used, so basically, the Resident Monitor is a code that runs on Bare Machines.
The resident monitor works like an operating system that controls the instructions and performs all necessary functions. It also works like job sequencer because it also sequences the job and sends them to the processor.
After scheduling the job Resident monitors loads the programs one by one into the main memory according to their sequences. One most important factor about the resident monitor is that when the program execution occurred there us no gap between the program execution and the processing is going to be faster.
The Resident monitors are divided into 4 parts as:
1. Control Language Interpreter 2. Loader 3. Device Driver 4. Interrupt Processing
These are explained as following below.
- Control Language Interpreter:
The first part of the Resident monitor is control language interpreter which is used to read and carry out the instruction from one level to the next level.
The second part of the Resident monitor which is the main part of the Resident Monitor is Loader which Loads all the necessary system and application programs into the main memory.
- Device Driver:
The third part of the Resident monitor is Device Driver which is used to managing the connecting input-output devices to the system. So basically it is the interface between the user and the system. it works as an interface between the request and response. request which user made, Device driver responds that the system produces to fulfill these requests.
- Interrupt Processing:
The fourth part as the name suggests, it processes the all occurred interrupt to the system.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Machine Instructions
- Machine Control Instructions in Microprocessor
- Stack machine in Computer Organisation
- What is DVM(Dalvik Virtual Machine)?
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 1 (Execution, Stages and Throughput)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 3 (Types and Stalling)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 2 (Dependencies and Data Hazard)
- What's difference between CPU Cache and TLB?
- What’s difference between 1's Complement and 2's Complement?
- I/O Interface (Interrupt and DMA Mode)
- Computer Organization | Amdahl's law and its proof
- Priority Interrupts | (S/W Polling and Daisy Chaining)
- 8085 program to find maximum and minimum of 10 numbers
- MongoDB Python | Insert and Update Data
- Random Access Memory (RAM) and Read Only Memory (ROM)
- 8085 program to find 1's and 2's complement of 8-bit number
- Computer Organization | Instruction Formats (Zero, One, Two and Three Address Instruction)
- 8085 program to find 1’s and 2’s complement of 16-bit number
- 8085 program to access and exchange the content of Flag register with register B
- Differences between 8086 and 8088 microprocessors
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.