Automated Browser Testing with Edge and Selenium in Python
Cross-browser testing is mandatory in the software industry. We all know that there are many browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Opera etc., are available. Rather than writing separate code to each and every browser, it is always a decent approach to go towards automated testing. Let us see how to do that using Selenium for Edge browser in Python. Here Edge WebDriver is used in order to run our Selenium automation test scripts over the Edge browser.
In order to perform Browser Automation using Edge And Selenium In Python, we need to carry out the following steps:
- Edge browser: Microsoft Edge browser can be downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge. If already installed, we can get the existing version of edge by using edge://version/
- Selenium framework: Selenium is a powerful tool for controlling a web browser through the program. It is functional for all browsers, works on all major OS. It can be installed using the below command:
pip install selenium
- Edge WebDriver: Selenium Edge Webdriver can be downloaded from this URL. Automatically testing will be getting done in Edge browser with this driver. Download the edge webdriver according to the operating system and unzip the file and get msedgedriver.exe .
- Selenium tools for Microsoft Edge: This module has the required features for automated browser testing, it can be installed using the below command:
pip install msedge-selenium-tools selenium==3.141
Below is a program to execute a simple automated browser testing script:
On executing the script, we can see, edge browser has opened Facebook page as shown in the image. You can open any valid web page and automatically it will open the mentioned web page in edge browser.
- Edge browser is opened.
- It gets maximized.
- It opens a web page(here www.lambdatest.com) .
- It takes the user email as email@example.com .
- Get the Submit button to click which is nothing but start free testing button in the form and it will navigate to next page with the URL as https://firstname.lastname@example.org .
If we want to know the id of each and every component of a web page, we can get it by means of View page source or by inspecting the appropriate section too.
Automated browser testing is very convenient and as separate drivers are available for each browser, we can do the testing easily and no manual work is needed. Even automated testing is faster and can test multiple test pages very quickly and provide successful test results.