Artificial Intelligence – Boon or Bane
Artificial Intelligence is a branch of computer science that deals with the development of machines that can perform tasks that require human intelligence like speech recognition, language translation, and decision making. Artificial Intelligence is said to be the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to think and perform tasks like humans. There are various real-life applications of Artificial Intelligence they are as follows:
1. Gaming: In strategic games like Chess the machine is programmed such that it can generate its moves and also study the moves of its opponents and decide which movie to be made next.
2. Speech Recognition: Some systems can recognize the language spoken by humans and respond in the same way by grasping the accent, grammar, etc. These types of speech recognition systems are present in our smartphones and home devices. Some examples of speech recognition systems are Google Now, Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa.
3. Handwriting Recognition: Handwriting Text Recognition system in the machine enables it to read handwriting and transform into editable text.
4. Robotics: Robotics is a branch of science and engineering which deals with construction, design, and programming of robots. Robots are the most sophisticated and complex inventions of humans to date. Robots are capable of carrying out a series of a complex tasks. They are efficient in their tasks as they can multitask as well and save time doing so. They have vast memory space and can adjust to their environment.
With the growth in AI, there is a debate that whether AI is a boon or a bane. Some factors support AI to be a boon as well as a bane.
Factors that support AI to be a Boon:
- Ease in Availability: Machines do not require refreshment like humans and can work for a longer period. They are capable of performing tasks and work continuously and produce quality output.
- Daily Usage: Currently the most widely used machine in our daily life is a smartphone, which results knowingly and unknowingly using the benefits of AI. A few examples that demonstrate the use of AI in our daily life are speech recognition system used in our search engine on our smartphones, GPS used for navigation and fingerprint recognition and face recognition system in our smartphone for security.
- Performing Complex Tasks: For a human performing tedious task is time-consuming. AI algorithms are developed to perform complex tasks. Machines are capable of performing multiple tasks at a particular period and function faster than humans.
- Virtual Assistants: Virtual assistants communicate with various users, thus resulting in less use of manpower. As machines do not have emotions they perform more logically and efficiently and thus arrive at the right decision.
AI as a Bane:
- Incurs High Cost: With the use of AI the productivity enhances and efficient results are obtained but huge costs are incurred in the process as machines are very complex and complicated in their training. And machines require regular maintenance at a particular point of time thus resulting in bigger costs to incur.
- Lack of Experience: Humans depend upon their experience and perform accordingly in the future whereas do not have experience. Machines act according to the algorithm that is set for its functioning. They do not react with the environment and this what creates the difference between machines and humans.
- Unemployment: The growing concern in the global economy today is that will AI completely take over human jobs. To enhance the productivity enterprises are adopting AI-based technologies that are now replacing human jobs and making us more dependent on machines. This would lead to a major loss in the ability of thinking and result in creativity and ideas.
AI will grow further in the future and shape our lives. It has its advantages and disadvantages. It has the factors that support it be a boon or bane. But still, there is a debate whether it will be a boon or a bane. We’ll come to know in the future whether it proves to be boon or bane.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Machine Learning Concepts with the Machine Learning Foundation Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.