Like every other email address, Gmail address is a combination of two parts that are separated by the @ symbol. The part before @ is the username or local-part and the part after @ is the domain name or domain part. Both names may contain both upper-case and lower-case letters numbers, dots or periods, and underscores. Case sensitivity typically means treating lower-case and upper-case letters as distinct letters.
Are email addresses case sensitive?
Quick answer is “No”. Theoretically speaking domain part is case insensitive and the local part is case sensitive. Let us consider the e-mail address “firstname.lastname@example.org”
Domain names are case insensitive implies one can use Domain.com or domain.com or DoMain.com. All mails go to intended user address. As local part of email address is case sensitive, geeksforgeek is different from GeeksforGeeks.
Therefore theoretically email@example.com is different from GeeksforGeeks@domain.com.
If email providers are treating email addresses as case sensitive, it can create a lot of mess and interoperability problems. Hence the majority of the latest email providers either auto-correct case or ignore case. Therefore except for few outdated email servers, email addresses are case insensitive.
What about Gmail addresses?
As Gmail addresses ignore the case in local part they are not case sensitive. For example, Gmail server will treat the following Gmail addresses as same and will be delivered to the same intended user:
Note: Gmail address is not dot sensitive also, which means that the owner of firstname.lastname@example.org will receive the email even if it has been sent to the following Gmail addresses:
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Know your public and private IP addresses
- Difference between Private and Public IP addresses
- Program to find Class, Broadcast and Network addresses
- How to prepare test case report for a Project?
- What is Tableau and its Importance in Data Visualization?
- 7 Cool Python Project Ideas for Intermediate Developers
- Difference between Amazon Drive and Backblaze B2
- Top 10 Online Courses For Machine Learning in 2020
- Why You Should Switch to Kotlin from Java to Develop Android Apps?
- Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA)
- Difference between Amazon Drive and Amazon S3
- Difference between Google Drive and Box
- Difference between Amazon S3 and Box
- Difference between Baidu Cloud and Box
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.