Given coordinates of three points A(x1, y1, z1), B(x2, y2, z2) and C(x3, y3, z3) in a 3D plane, where B is the intersection point of line AB and BC, the task is to find angle between lines AB and BC.
Input: x1 = 1, y1 = 3, z1 = 3; x2 = 3, y2 = 4, z2 = 5; x3 = 5, y3 = 6, z3 = 9;
Input: x1 = 10, y1 = 10, z1 = 10; x2 = 0, y2 = 0, z2 = 0; x3 = 15, y3 = 10, z3 = 15;
- Find the equation of lines AB and BC with the given coordinates in terms of direction ratios as:
AB = (x1 – x2)i + (y1 – y2)j + (z1 – z2)k
BC = (x3 – x2)i + (y3 – y2)j + (z3 – z2)k
- Use the formula for cos Θ for the two direction ratios of lines AB and BC to find the cosine of the angle between lines AB and BC as:
AB.BC is the dot product of direction ratios AB and BC.
|AB| is the magnitude of line AB
|BC| is the magnitude of line BC
Suppose there are two direction ratios:
A = ai + bj + ck B = xi + yj + zk
Dot Product(A.B) = a*x + b*y + c*z
magnitude of A = |A| =
magnitude of B = |B| =
- The cosine of the angle calculated gives the cosine value in radian. To find the angle multiply the cosine value by (180/Π).
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Nth angle of a Polygon whose initial angle and per angle increment is given
- Angle between a chord and a tangent when angle in the alternate segment is given
- Angle subtended by the chord when the angle subtended by another chord of same length is given
- Exterior angle of a cyclic quadrilateral when the opposite interior angle is given
- Angle subtended by the chord to center of the circle when the angle subtended by the another equal chord of a congruent circle is given
- Program to calculate angle on circumference subtended by the chord when the central angle subtended by the chord is given
- Area of Triangle using Side-Angle-Side (length of two sides and the included angle)
- Print N lines of 4 numbers such that every pair among 4 numbers has a GCD K
- Calculate the angle between hour hand and minute hand
- Angle between two Planes in 3D
- Angle between 3 given vertices in a n-sided regular polygon
- Distance between two parallel lines
- Find other two sides of a right angle triangle
- Find if it's possible to rotate the page by an angle or not.
- Program to find the Interior and Exterior Angle of a Regular Polygon
- Check if it is possible to create a polygon with a given angle
- Area of a largest square fit in a right angle triangle
- Find other two sides and angles of a right angle triangle
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle within a Square which is inscribed within a Right angle Triangle
- Length of the chord of the circle whose radius and the angle subtended at the center by the chord is given
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.