AMD Full Form
AMD stands for Advanced Micro Devices. AMD is an American multinational semiconductor company that develops computer processors and related technologies. It is based in Santa Clara County, California. AMD’s main products include microprocessors, motherboard Chipsets, embedded processors and graphics processors for servers, workstations, personal computers and embedded systems applications etc. It was created by Jerry Sanders on May 1, 1969. AMD’s latest high end processors include Ryzen series which are known for their better performance than its predecessor and competitive to its rival.
Here are Some famous and best AMD CPUs nowadays:
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
- AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
- Processors can be of 2(dual) core, 4(quad) core, 6(hexa) core or 8(octa) core type.
- Advance clock calibration(Precision Boost) is there in today’s AMD processors
- AMD overdrive and Ryzen Master allows the real time adjustments in the systems.
- low voltage and power utilization.
- AMD’s 64 bit processors have backward support for 32 bit systems also.
- Enhanced virus protection is also an interesting feature of today’s AMD processors and is similar to Intel’s Execute Disable Bit.
- The Price to Performance is higher compared to similar Intel Processors.
- Motherboards of AMD processors are cheaper.
- Latest AMD Ryzen processors have low energy and power utilization.
- AMD Processors are immune from many exploits which can affect Intel Processors like Meltdown,Spoiler and has lower impact on mitigation of Spectre.
- AMD Processors can handle 64-bit Applications very well.
- Newer (Zen 2 and Zen 3) AMD desktop processors heat very much due to aggressive clocking.
- AMD CPUs often lack iGPUs which is often used in the case of office and enterprise use.
- AMD processors are more sensitive to RAM and CPU memory timings.
- AMD processors quite lack behind in multimedia support and also lacks AVX-512.