Amazon visited our campus for SDE-1. Interview process started with an online coding round followed by 4 face to face interviews. All interview rounds started with brief introduction about me.
Online Round :
A hackerank contest with 22 questions consisting of 2 coding problems and 20 MCQ’s on C, OS, DBMS, Networking.
Coding Questions :
1. Given a 2d array with only two elements ‘#’ & ‘.’ . ‘#’ represents cherry and ‘.’ represents nothing. Can you divide the array into 2 halves with equal cherries. You can only make a single cut either horizontally or vertically.
2. Sliding Window of size k . Find max in each window.
No need of optimization, brute force was accepted.
F2F 1 (30 minutes , Director + Technical)
1.You have a 2-d matrix , you have to print matrix in Spiral Order Form. Production code was required.
2. What is the most funniest and craziest data structure you have ever used.
I said Segment Trees. He asked me to explain it. Why to use it, explain it through some example, prove its complexity.
F2F 2 (40 minutes, Technical )
1. You have a 2-d array (m*n) , where every row and column is sorted in increasing order. You have to return an array which is sorted (basically have to sort given 2d array)
Approach 1- insert all elements in map/set . ( O(mnlog(mn)) ) .
Approach 2- insert first element of each row in a heap (same as sort k sorted list of equal length), then call extract-min and insert next element from the required row.
Complexity- O(mnlog(m) )
Follow up question- what if m>>n ?
Solution- Transpose the given matrix and follow the same procedure as above.
2. Given a binary tree containing positive and negative values, you have to find maximum sum that passes through parent. ( O(n) solution was required ).
Proper code was required for both the questions.
F2F -3 (1 hour ,Technical )
Several questions on Operating Systems and Computer Networking.
Operating Systems- Difference between multi -tasking, multi-processing and multiprogramming, Virtual Memory, why to use Virtual memory, issues related to virtual memory , paging, segmentation , multithreading, difference between process and thread.
Computer Networking- What happens when you type www.amazon.com in Web Browser, how server handle requests, how routing works, difference between HTTP and HTTPS, how TCP works.
Coding Question- Given an array, find min element in the range (xi,yi) . Queries can be very large.
First i gave brute force approach (0(n) for each query ) and after that I gave a segment Tree solution to him. He told me to prove time and space complexity.
Follow up question- What if we delete some element from segment tree. How do you augment your data structure.
I said that instead of deleting we can update it to INT_MAX value.
F2F-4 (1 hour, Technical)
Definition of valid- Higher priority bracket can’t be inside lower priority bracket.
I solved it by a single Stack .
Follow up question-
Then he asked if you have any questions.
Interviewers don’t want most optimized solution. They see how you approach a question , Interact with interviewer if you get stuck ,don’t jump directly to code, think loud and be confident.
A big thanks to geeksforgeeks and other online judges.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- MathWorks Interview Experience (EDG, Oncampus)
- ServiceNow Interview Experience Oncampus
- UHG Interview Experience | OnCampus- 2019
- InfoEdge Interview Experience | OnCampus-2019
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 167 (SDE I for 1 year 6 months experience)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 391 (SDE-2, 5.5 years Experience)
- Amazon Interview Experience | 401 (3+Years Experience for SDE II)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 242 (1 Year Experience)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 243 (2.5 Years Experience)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 241 (1.5 years experience)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 248 (4.8 Yrs Experience for SDE II)
- Amazon Interview Experience (For Experience - 2.8 yrs) | SDE 1
- Amazon Interview experience | Set 325
- Amazon interview Experience | Set 409 (For SDE-I)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 346 (For SDE-1)