I interviewed with Amazon, Hyderabad. Interview was in October, 2014. I was 4 months experienced, and was applying for SDE-1 position.
I had 4 interviews, and my experiences are as follows.
Q1 – Clone a graph. ( Similar Question -> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/clone-linked-list-next-arbit-pointer-set-2/)
Basically while cloning, when you create a new node in the cloned graph, have a hashmap which maps the old node to new node.
So in the hashmap key = old node, value = new node.
Q2 – Given an array of numbers, for each number print the first number to it’s left which is greater than the current number.
Example Input -> 5,3,2,4,8,6 Output-> -1, 5,3,5,-1,8 Use stacks. Simple O(n) solution.
Q1 – Find the row number according to the excel nomenclature –> (the opposite of this, https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-excel-column-name-given-number/)
i.e given Z, Output -> 26 Given AX, Output -> 50
Q2 – Find the number of islands in a 2d Array -> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-number-of-islands/
3rd Round(Hiring Manager)
Q1 – Given a number in words, print the number.
Example 1) Input - "One Hundred and Five", Output should be "105" Example 2) Input - "One Thousand and two hundred", Output should be "1200" Example 3) Input - "Twelve hundred", Output should be "1200" Example 4) Input - "Five Lacs", Output should be "500000" Example 5) Input - "Five Hundred Thousand", Output should be "500000"
There were a lot of edge cases, and discussion with regards to this. ( I took a lot of time and the manager did not seem to pleased. 🙁 )
Q2- In a sorted array, find two numbers who’s difference is k.
Given -> 1,2, 3,4,7,8,9,11 and k=7 Ouput -> 1,8 or 2,9, or 4,11 (Print any one)
A lot of questions as to Why Amazon, Why do you want to leave so early.
4th Round(Bar Raiser)
Q1 – Given a sorted array find a number. (Simple Binary Search)
Now consider repetitions and find the left most occurrence. (Binary Search to first find number, then again Binary Search to find left most occurrence)
Similarly find the right most occurrence. (Binary Search to first find number, then again Binary Search to find right most occurrence)
Now using the above two functions, find the number of times the element is present.
Note – Cases like where number is NOT present,
Q2- Assembly Line Scheduling. (Very Simple DP.)
After three weeks, I got a generic email saying that I could not clear it. I had a really irresponsible recruiter who did not have the courtesy to give me a call and just convey some feedback. Eventually, I think I took too much time with the first question in the manager round.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 266 (Off-Campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 213 (Off-Campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 291 (On-Campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 254 (Off-Campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Off-Campus for SDE1
- Amazon Interview | Set 97 (On-Campus for SDE1)
- Carwale Interview Experience(On-campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 186 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience SDE1
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 188 (For SDE1)
- Amazon interview Experience | Set 141 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 187 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 281 (for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience SDE1
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 258 (For SDE1)