Round 1: Telephonic
Q1. Implement some functionalities of Minesweeper like connected component search and game termination check etc.
Q2. Linked list random pointer question: Clone a linked list with next and random pointer
Next day, I got the call for onsite interviews.
Round 2: Onsite round by SDE – 1
Q1. Given very large number of empty crates of varying sizes, we need to find the best fit crate for the given item and allocate it. Need to design a data structure for this scenario. Operations involved:
- Insert a crate
- Search the best fit crate
- Delete the crate after allocating it.
e.g. 3 crates of weight 10, 20 and 30 are there. An item of size 15 appears then we’ll allocate crate of size 20 and delete it.
Sol. Use binary search tree (balanced using red-black criteria or any) and implement ceil function.
All operations will be O (log(n)).
Q2. Optimize above data structure for weekends where amazon have lots of crates but very less search operations.
Q3. Given a function boolisValidWord(string str) you need to check whether a string is a proper string or not. E.g. iloveicecream is valid : I love ice cream.
Round 3: Manager of some other Team
Deep discussion on projects.
In one project I used EC2 service so he asked me many details and why I preferred EC2 over other possible options.
Connect Nodes at Same Level
General discussion on virtual memory.
Round 4: 2 SDE-1s
Q1. Given matrix of 1s and 0s where 0 is water and 1 is land. Find number of islands.
Q2. Give the size of all islands in above question.
Round 5: Dev Manager, 6yrs exp. (May be bar raiser round still I am not sure :P)
Q1. We started our discussion for very general problem where we have a long stream of characters and we need to extract all the patters from that stream. There can be integers, fractions, words or anything.
I explained the entire process which is used in lexical analysis phase of compiler design where we give regular expressions and finally they are converted to NFAs and finally a single DFA.
Then a discussion went on how we’ll implement this system from scratch.
There are many algorithms for converting regular expressions to NFAs and finally DFAs and some general discussion over Natural Language Processing.
Q2. Given M sorted linked lists of each of size N, we need to merge them to single linked list of size M x N using no extra space.
Next day I got the call that they would like to extend me the offer for SDE-1 profile.
- Prepare data structures thoroughly.
- Less efficient solution is much better than no solution.
- Adopt incremental approach for problem solving.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 142 (Pool Campus)
- Amazon Interview Experience | SDE-1 offcampus
- Amazon Interview Experience Offcampus for SDE-1
- Mahindra Comviva Interview Experience 2020 (Product/Software Development OffCampus)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 185 (For SDE1)
- Amazon interview Experience | Set 141 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 150 (SDE1 for 1 Year Experienced)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 153 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 184 (Off Campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 186 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 187 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 188 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 213 (Off-Campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 254 (Off-Campus for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 256 (Written Test for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 258 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 259 (1 Yr Experienced for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 261 (For SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 264 (Experienced for SDE1)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 262 (For SDE1)