Amazon Interview Experience for SDE – 1
I was reached by a Talent Acquisition Specialist from Amazon via my Instahyre profile a month ago for the SDE – 1 Position.
Fast forward to that , I was informed that as a selection procedure there would be 5 rounds total ( One OA + 4 interviews ).
I cleared the OA round. The further interviews went like this.
Round 1 : ( Algorithms and DSA )
- There are N gas stations along a circular route, where the amount of gas at the ith station is gas[i]. You have a car with an unlimited gas tank and it costs cost[i] of gas to travel from the ith station to its next (i + 1) th station. You begin the journey with an empty tank at one of the gas stations. Given two integer arrays gas and cost, return the starting gas station.
- Print all the leaves of the binary tree.
- Right view of binary tree
Round 2 : ( Problem Solving, CS fundamentals and Coding )
- Bottom view of binary tree in both BFS and DFS.
- Given a directory , where files are created , stored and deleted as required. You are given each file’s creation time and deletion time. You need to find out the number of total files present at any instant in the directory.
Note: This is a Greedy problem. It’s similar to the question – Minimum Number of Platforms Required for a Railway/Bus Station. A little brainstorming helped me land to the solution. The interviewer was satisfied with the optimal time and space complexity.
Round 3: ( Hiring Manager and Technical )
The interviewer was the Manager and in this round you should expect questions related to HR , Leadership Principles and coding questions as well.
Initially the interviewer asked me for the introduction followed by many situational based questions. They are expecting answers in STAR Format ( S – Situation , T – Task , A – Action , R – Result ) which should clearly reflect the 14 Leadership Principles followed by Amazon.
Thereafter , some technical questions were asked followed by one designing question.
- Design a LRU cache with optimal code.
Round 4 : ( Hiring Manager and Technical )
The interview was taken by a SDE – 2 belonging from a different office of Amazon.
I was asked to give my introduction and some situational based questions.Thereafter he asked about my past organizations where I have worked on earlier.
In – depth details and follow-up questions were asked regarding the projects to test my knowledge.
- Connect n ropes with minimum cost. I used Heap to solve it , so heap related questions were asked.
- Algorithm for implementation of Min – Heap.
- For every coding question being asked , write the clean and optimal code with explanations.
- Approach to questions confidently and slowly.
- Keep the interview well-communicative.
- Think loudly and have a 🙂 on your face. All the best !
Please Login to comment...