Amazon Interview Experience for SDE-1
I was contacted by a recruiter at the start of April for the Bangalore location
She asked me to give a coding test on Hackerrank. The test had 2 questions. I was able to solve both questions completely. After 1 week I got a call for a telephonic round.
There were total 5 Rounds of the interview –
Technical phone screen (1 hour): The interviewer was SDE-2 at amazon.
- Asked 2 questions about work done from my resume
- Asked 1 heap-based question
- Question – Given M managers with priority as M1>M2>…, each manager has some n number of reporters working under him.
- There are x jobs with different priorities, your job is to assign the task to employees, such that M_i+1 can not be assigned a task until all the reporters of M_i have been assigned.
- I gave him a heap-based approach, he asked me the time complexity.
- He was satisfied with my approach and asked me to write working code.
After 1 week I received a call for the next set of rounds i.e. onsite rounds.
First Onsite Round (1 hour): The interviewer was SDE2 at amazon.
- Asked 2 questions based on DS Algorithms, one question was based on BST and the other was based on Graph, I gave an approach of using dfs
- She asked me approach and time, space complexity first, I was able to solve both problems without any hint.
- Next, She asked me 2 Behavioral questions
- Question1 – Tell me a time when you had a conflict with the product team over some requirement and how did you handle it
- Question 2 – Tell me about a time when you had to work out of your comfort zone
Second Onsite Round (1 hour): The interviewer was SDE-3 at Amazon.
- He asked me one question on BST- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/print-binary-tree-vertical-order-set-2/. I took 1 hint and around 30 minutes to write working code for this. He asked me to optimize the code more for space complexity.
- He asked some behavioral questions
- Question1 – Tell me about a time you have to face some unfamiliar requirement.
- Question2 – Tell me about a time when you faced a crisis at work
Third Onsite Round (1 hour): This was Hiring Manager’s round.
- He gave a simple problem based on the array and sliding window concept.
- Next, he asked about the work done in the previous company.
- He gave me 1 question on MYSQL(mentioned in cv).
- We discussed some OOPs concepts like deadlock, semaphores, etc.
- After 2 days I got a call from the recruiter for the next round i.e. Bar raiser round
Bar Raiser Round (1 hour):
- The interviewer was in a very senior position at Amazon.
- He asked 2 questions based on DS also.
- Question 1 – DP based
- Question 2 – Something like a balanced parenthesis problem
- I was able to solve question 1 completely, he seemed satisfied with it.
- Due to lack of time, there were some bugs in the code of question 2.
- And also, all the interviewers asked me to explain the space and time complexity of my approaches.
- Prepare well for Amazon leadership principle.
- Make sure you remember all the projects from your resume.
- Prepare DS Algorithms well.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon. Google , E-Litmus and Microsoft Test Serieses.