Amazon Interview Experience
Hello Coders, This is my Interview Experience for the position of SDE1 at Amazon (2019).
Round 1(Online Round): 2 Coding Questions and 28 MCQ’s
- Let 1 represent ‘A’, 2 represents ‘B’, etc. Given a digit sequence, count the number of possible decodings of the given digit sequence. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/count-possible-decodings-given-digit-sequence/)
- Given Equation for num1, num2, and X in the form of a string, and you have to find the value of X in the string.
Ex: String is 100000+200000=X X will be 300000 String is 100000+X=500000 X will be 400000
I Solved both the coding Questions.
Be prepared with all pointer concepts and how to return the char string, etc.
Round 2(Algorithm Round): I was told to introduce myself. Then he directly went on to the question. The question was :
- Given a square chessboard of N x N size, the position of Knight and the destination is given. you need to find out the minimum steps a Knight will take to reach the Destination and print the path for the same. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/minimum-steps-reach-target-knight/)
Initially, they give me a basic BFS solution that looks at all 8 K Knight modes that will take O (N * N) Time.
I was told that I had done well in the code as a wise decision maker. I don’t know what the interviewer was expecting. I was thinking of the A * Search Algorithm that discarded a particular combination but lost the solution (meaning it comes close to the solution in a very short time, used by Google Maps).
I did not expect to qualify for this cycle. But luckily I was called to the next round.
Round 3(Algorithm Round): The interviewer was very chill. In the beginning, I introduced myself to her, and then she introduced herself. I was supposed to give a brief description of any one of my Project(10 min).
- Given a linked list, write a function to reverse every k node. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/reverse-a-list-in-groups-of-given-size/)
- Given a Binary Tree, find the deepest leaf node that is left child of its parent. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/deepest-left-leaf-node-in-a-binary-tree/)
Round 4(Fundamental + Algorithm): Initially, I introduced myself. The interviewer was very calm. He asked me about my Subjects. Then the fundamental knowledge was checked in depth. Ex-
- Paging / Virtual Memory
- CPU Scheduling Algorithm
- Deadlock / Semaphore / Critical Section
- Working of OSI Layers(CN)
- What happens if I type ‘google.com’ as URL. Explain the whole process.
Round 5(Tech Round): The interviewer was a highly experienced person. Firstly I introduced myself. I was told to explain any one of my projects, and he told me that how will you improve the same project now.
Then he asked one tree question — I was feeling headache, and I was just smiling, the interviewer thought that I was familiar with this question and asked me that whether I am familiar with the question or not, and I said yes(even the question was not familiar to me but don’t this I was lucky at that time)
Then he swapped the question. And asked this –
I was supposed to just tell the Algorithm orally. Then he asked me about my interests.