Algorithms | Sorting | Question 11
You have to sort 1 GB of data with only 100 MB of available main memory. Which sorting technique will be most appropriate?
(A) Heap sort
(B) Merge sort
(C) Quick sort
(D) Insertion sort
Explanation: The data can be sorted using external sorting which uses merging technique. This can be done as follows:
1. Divide the data into 10 groups each of size 100.
2. Sort each group and write them to disk.
3. Load 10 items from each group into main memory.
4. Output the smallest item from the main memory to disk. Load the next item from the group whose item was chosen.
5. Loop step #4 until all items are not outputted.
The step 3-5 is called as merging technique.
Quiz of this Question
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!