Spiral model is also known as Meta Model because it subsumes all the other SDLC models. In its diagrammatic representation, it looks like a spiral with many loops, that’s the reason it’s called as Spiral. Each loop of the spiral is called a Phase of the software development process. This model has capability to handle risks.
These are following advantages and disadvantages of using Spiral Model
Advantages of Spiral Model:
- Software is produced early in the software life cycle.
- Risk handling is one of important advantages of the Spiral model, it is best development model to follow due to the risk analysis and risk handling at every phase.
- Flexibility in requirements. In this model, we can easily change requirements at later phases and can be incorporated accurately. Also, additional Functionality can be added at a later date.
- It is good for large and complex projects.
- It is good for customer satisfaction. We can involve customers in the development of products at early phase of the software development. Also, software is produced early in the software life cycle.
- Strong approval and documentation control.
- It is suitable for high risk projects, where business needs may be unstable. A highly customized product can be developed using this.
Disadvantages of Spiral Model:
- It is not suitable for small projects as it is expensive.
- It is much more complex than other SDLC models. Process is complex.
- Too much dependable on Risk Analysis and requires highly specific expertise.
- Difficulty in time management. As the number of phases is unknown at the start of the project, so time estimation is very difficult.
- Spiral may go on indefinitely.
- End of the project may not be known early.
- It is not suitable for low risk projects.
- May be hard to define objective, verifiable milestones. Large numbers of intermediate stages require excessive documentation.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.