Structural Query Language (SQL) is used for accessing, manipulating, and communicating with the database. Almost every function such as retrieving data from the database, creating a new database, manipulating data and databases such as insertion, deletion and updation can be performed using SQL. It is a user-friendly and domain-specific language.
Need of SQL :
- It is widely used in the Business Intelligence tool.
- Data Manipulation and data testing are done through SQL.
- Data Science tools depend highly on SQL. Big data tools such as Spark, Impala are dependant on SQL.
- It is one of the demanding industrial skills.
Advantages of SQL :
SQL has many advantages which makes it popular and highly demanded. It is a reliable and efficient language used for communicating with the database. Some advantages of SQL are as follows:
- Faster Query Processing –
Large amount of data is retrieved quickly and efficiently. Operations like Insertion, deletion, manipulation of data is also done in almost no time.
- No Coding Skills –
For data retrieval, large number of lines of code is not required. All basic keywords such as SELECT, INSERT INTO, UPDATE, etc are used and also the syntactical rules are not complex in SQL, which makes it a user-friendly language.
- Standardised Language –
Due to documentation and long establishment over years, it provides a uniform platform worldwide to all its users.
- Portable –
It can be used in programs in PCs, server, laptops independent of any platform (Operating System, etc). Also, it can be embedded with other applications as per need/requirement/use.
- Interactive Language –
Easy to learn and understand, answers to complex queries can be received in seconds.
- Multiple data views –
Disadvantages of SQL :
Although SQL has many advantages, still there are a few disadvantages.
Various Disadvantages of SQL are as follows:
- Complex Interface –
SQL has a difficult interface that makes few users uncomfortable while dealing with the database.
- Cost –
Some versions are costly and hence, programmers cannot access it.
- Partial Control –
Due to hidden business rules, complete control is not given to the database.
Applications of SQL :
- SQL is used by developers and DBAs (Database Administrators) in writing Data Integration Scripts.
- It is used to deal with analytical queries to analyze the data and get instincts from it.
- Retrieving Information
- Modification/Manipulation of data and database table such as Insertion, Deletion and Updation.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.