Advantages and Disadvantages of Bus Topology
Bus Topology :
Alternatively mentioned as line topology, bus topology could even be a specific quite topology during which each computer and network device is connected to a minimum of one cable or backbone. In general, term refers to how various devices are acknowledged during a network. counting on sort of network card, a coax or an RJ-45 network cable is employed to attach them together.
Bus topology carries transmitted data through cable. because data reaches each node, node checks destination address (MAC/IP address) to work out if it matches their address. If address does not match with node, node does nothing more. But if addresses of node match to address contained within data then they process on knowledge. In bus, communication between nodes are done through foremost network cable.
Advantages of Bus Topology :
- It is the easiest network topology for connecting peripherals or computers in a linear fashion.
- It works very efficient well when there is a small network.
- Length of cable required is less than a star topology.
- It is easy to connect or remove devices in this network without affecting any other device.
- Very cost-effective as compared to other network topology i.e. mesh and star
- It is easy to understand topology.
- Easy to expand by joining the two cables together.
Disadvantages of Bus Topology :
- Bus topology is not great for large networks.
- Identification of problem becomes difficult if whole network goes down.
- Troubleshooting of individual device issues is very hard.
- Need of terminators are required at both ends of main cable.
- Additional devices slow network down.
- If a main cable is damaged, whole network fails or splits into two.
- Packet loss is high.
- This network topology is very slow as compared to other topologies.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Practice GATE exam well before the actual exam with the subject-wise and overall quizzes available in GATE Test Series Course.
Learn all GATE CS concepts with Free Live Classes on our youtube channel.