Adaptive web design is especially developed to adjust to size of browser or screen. In adaptive web designing, different website layouts are created to fit best to specific screen sizes of different devices.
Basically, two versions of websites are generally created, one is created for small screen i.e., mobile version and other one is created for large screen i.e., desktop version. Mobile versions are used for smartphones, tablets, etc., and desktop versions are used for laptop, desktop. Website or server detect size of device screen and then choose website layout that fit best on device screen.
Choosing right website design will lead to better performance and positive result because different business has different needs and requirements. Therefore, before choosing any web design, determine what are your needs and web design can be beneficial or not.
There are several advantages and disadvantages of adaptive web design that can help in making decision. Some of them are given below:
- Targeted for each user: Adaptive web design create different versions of website for different devices for increasing user experience at individual devices. On each device, users should have a positive experience. In this web design, one can customize and change page content, layout to best fit screen and improve user experience.
- Increase load time: Adaptive web design create different layout for different devices and display features that are best for specific website. Whenever user load website on their device, then layout that fit best on device screen gets loaded. This increase loading speed as traffic is decreased. Even, server detect device size and then provide layout that will fit best on device screen. It provides high resolution graphics only when it detects high-density screen.
- Reusable existing websites: Some of complex websites are developed using legacy code i.e., source code written using outdated technology or is no longer supported and is incomprehensible. Adaptive websites have different versions of layout for different devices. So, if one wants to change or update something, then they do not need to go back to drawing board and again re-code existing website from starting point.
- Advertising monetization: Monetizing websites with ads will only lead to more money and give more opportunities for earning. Adaptive website is the best way to optimize advertise options as adaptive websites are designed to fit best on device it is viewed on. There is no need to chan5ge or replace ratio of banners, images, etc., for smaller resolutions to display best on screen because smaller versions of websites are available.
- Labor intensive to create: Adaptive web design are not easy to create. It requires great thinking skills and more labors to create. Adaptive web design requires more time and effort as different website layouts are created to best fit on screen. Different website layout means different html code, and more will be code, then more will be labors required to develop it.
- Harder to maintain and is complex: Adaptive websites are not easy to maintain as it is not easy to maintain all website versions at same level. One has to update and maintain each version of website individually whenever required.
- Expensive: Adaptive web design is labor intensive I.e., requires a greater number of developers or labors to create it and also requires a lot of budgets to handle complexity. Adaptive design is complex and complicated and therefore it is expensive. It is more expensive to build and maintain.