Advanced RISC Machine (ARM) Processor
ARM stands for Advanced RISC Machine. It is one of most licensed and extensive processor cores in world. In the year of 1978, first ARM processor was introduced by Cambridge University. The first ARM processor was produced by Acorn Group Of Computers in year 1985. ARM was founded and became very popular in 1990. In 2007, ARM processors were used in more than 98% of mobile phones and approximately 10 billion processors were shipped in 2008. ARM was latest technology which replaced by micro-controllers and microprocessors. In general, ARM is a 16-bit/32-bit Processor or Controller. In advanced digital products ARM act as a heart.
These processors are specially used in portable devices like digital cameras, mobile phones, home network modules, wireless communication technologies, Access control, Communication gateway, Medical System and in many other embedded systems.
Some Advance Features of ARM Processor :
- In this designed processor there are only 25 basic instruction types.
- Through registers most of operations are implemented.
- Here every instruction have their own conditions with registers.
- This processor offers multiple modes of addressing.
- Manual stacks manipulation is done here.
- Stack addressing and subroutines consist explicitly programmed techniques.
- Because of 32 bits micro-processor, it is possible to have access to memory and data manipulation saved in these 32 bits.
- The address range of this processor is widely 26 bit.
- For direct accessing it allows 64 megabytes of memory.
- It consists of single cycle execution method.
Advantages of ARM Processor :
- They are cheaper as compared to other processors.
- It consumes less power.
- Better battery life than other processors.
- It works faster because it performs one operation at a time.
- Users choose ARM processors because of availability and applications support.
Disadvantages of ARM Processor :
- You cannot run windows on it very soon because it is not binary compatible with x86.
- The speeds and memory bandwidths are limited in such cases because of ARM processor’s clock frequencies.
- Debugging is difficult because of scheduling of instructions.
- The performance of these processors totally depends on execution so if programmer does not execute it properly then it can take a long time to work properly.