The set() method of Java AbstractSequentialList is used to replace any particular element in the list created using the AbstractSequentialList class with another element. This can be done by specifying the position of the element to be replaced and the new element in the parameter of the set() method.
public E set(int index, Object element)
Parameters: This function accepts two parameters as shown in the above syntax and described below.
- index: This is of integer type and refers to the position of the element that is to be replaced from the list.
- element: It is the new element by which the existing element will be replaced and is of the same object type as the list.
Return Value: The method returns the previous value from the list that is replaced with the new value.
Exception: This method throws following exceptions:
- UnsupportedOperationException: if the set operation is not supported by this list
- ClassCastException: if the class of the specified element prevents it from being added to this list
- NullPointerException: if the specified element is null and this list does not permit null elements
- IllegalArgumentException: if some property of the specified element prevents it from being added to this list
- IndexOutOfBoundsException: if the index is out of range (index = size())
Below program illustrate the Java.util.AbstractSequentialList.set() method:
AbstractSequentialList:[Geeks, for, Geeks, 10, 20] The Object that is replaced is: Geeks The Object that is replaced is: 20 The new AbstractSequentialList is:[Geeks, for, GFG, 10, 50]
Example 2: To demonstrate IndexOutOfBoundException
AbstractSequentialList:[Geeks, for, Geeks, 10, 20] Trying to replace 10th element with GFG java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 10, Size: 5
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.