Frequency is the number of occurrences of an outcome in a sample is known as the frequency of that outcome in the given sample. It can be termed in two different ways.
1. Absolute Frequency:
It is the number of observations in a particular category. It has always an integer value or we can say it has discrete values.
Following data are given about pass or fail of students in an exam held of Mathematics in a class.
P, P, F, P, F, P, P, F, F, P, P, P
where, P = Passed and F = Failed.
From the given data we can say that,
There are 8 students who passed the exam
There are 4 students who failed the exam
Implementation in Python:
Let’s the result of 12 persons declared in two categories Pass(P) and Fail(F) is categorized as 1 and 0 respectively.
P, P, F, P, F, P, P, F, F, P, P, P 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1
1 8 0 4 dtype: int64
2. Relative Frequency:
It is the fraction of observations of a particular category in given data set. It has floating values and also represented in percentage. Let us consider the given example of passed and failed students in the Mathematics exam. Then,
relative frequency of passed students = 8 / ( 8 + 4 ) = 0.666 = 66.6 %
relative frequency of failed students = 4 / ( 8 + 4 ) = 0.333 = 33.3 %
1 0.666667 0 0.333333 dtype: float64
- Absolute and Relative Imports in Python
- Getting frequency counts of a columns in Pandas DataFrame
- Python | Pandas Series.mad() to calculate Mean Absolute Deviation of a Series
- Python | Relative Layout in Kivy
- Python | Relative Layout in Kivy using .kv file
- Python | Finding relative order of elements in list
- Absolute Deviation and Absolute Mean Deviation using NumPy | Python
- numpy.absolute() in Python
- Check whether the sum of absolute difference of adjacent digits is Prime or not
- Python | List frequency of elements
- Python | Frequency of substring in given string
- NLP | Storing Frequency Distribution in Redis
- Python | Frequency of each character in String
- Python program to find sum of absolute difference between all pairs in a list
- Python | Finding frequency in list of tuples
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.