Problem – Write an assembly language program in 8085 microprocessor to find maximum and minimum of 10 numbers.
Minimum: 01H, Maximum: FFH
In CMP instruction:
If Accumulator > Register then carry and zero flags are reset
If Accumulator = Register then zero flag is set
If Accumulator < Register then carry flag is set
Assumption – List of numbers from 2050H to 2059H and output at 2060H and 2061H.
- Maximum number is stored in B register and minimum in C register
- Load counter in D register
- Load starting element in Accumulator, B and C register
- Compare Accumulator and B register
- If carry flag is not set then transfer contents of Accumulator to B. Else, compare Accumulator with C register, if carry flag is set transfer contents of Accumulator to C
- Decrement D register
- If D>0 take next element in Accumulator and go to point 4
- If D=0, store B and C register in memory
- End of program
|2000H||LXI H, 2050H||Load starting address of list|
|2003H||MOV B, M||Store maximum|
|2004H||MOV C, M||Store minimum|
|2005H||MVI D, 0AH||Counter for 10 elements|
|2007H||LOOP||MOV A, M||Retrieve list element in Accumulator|
|2008H||CMP B||Compare element with maximum number|
|2009H||JC MIN||Jump to MIN if not maximum|
|200CH||MOV B, A||Transfer contents of A to B as A > B|
|200DH||MIN||CMP C||Compare element with minimum number|
|200EH||JNC SKIP||Jump to SKIP if not minimum|
|2011H||MOV C, A||Transfer contents of A to C if A < minimum|
|2012H||SKIP||INX H||Increment memory|
|2013H||DCR D||Decrement counter|
|2014H||JNZ LOOP||Jump to LOOP if D > 0|
|2017H||LXI H, 2060H||Load address to store maximum|
|201AH||MOV M, B||Move maximum to 2060H|
|201BH||INX H||Increment memory|
|201CH||MOV M, C||Move minimum to 2061H|
- One by one all elements are compared with B and C register.
- Element is compared with maximum, if it greater than maximum then it is stored in B register. Else, it is compared with minimum and if it is less than minimum then it stored in C regiter.
- Loop executes 10 number of times.
- At the end of 10 iterations, maximum and minimum are stored at 2060H and 2061H respectively.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.