10 Qualities of a Good Leader
The term ‘leader’ has emerged from the word leadership. An individual who possesses attributes of leadership is known as a leader. They focus to satisfy the behaviour of each member of the group and realisation of group goals. A leader inspires employees, provides psychological support, helps in implementing changes, handles conflicts effectively and works towards the development of individuals in an organisation.
10 Qualities of a Good Leader
A leader should possess certain qualities and skills in order to lead, guide, and influence the actions of the people in a group or organisation. Some of the qualities that are needed to make a leader effective are as follows:
- Physical Features: The personality of an individual is an important factor in determining the success of leadership. The personality of an individual is determined by physical features like height, weight, energy, health, appearance, etc. A person who is physically fit is likely to appeal as a leader and attract people.
- Knowledge: A leader must be knowledgeable and competent. He should possess a thorough knowledge of all the subjects, principles, procedures and operations of his field. Intelligent and knowledgeable leaders are taken seriously by the group and they are able to instruct and influence people in the workplace.
- Integrity: Every leader should have a high degree of integrity and honesty. His way of working will influence his image amongst his followers. High moral standards should be maintained to act as a role model.
- Vision: A good leader should have vision. He should be able to see the big picture of where the organisation or team they are working within is headed, what it’s capable of, and what it will take to get there.
- Initiative: A leader should take initiative to grab the opportunities. He should be creative and capable of evolving new ideas and methods of doing things.
- Communication Skills: Communication skills play a very important part in influencing people. So, a leader should be good at communicating his ideas, feelings and decisions. He should be able to persuade and direct subordinates. In order to be an effective leader, an individual should not only be a good speaker, but also a good listener.
- Motivation Skills: A leader should be an effective motivator, as he has to influence the actions and intentions of people through motivation. A good leader should understand the needs of people and motivate them by satisfying their needs.
- Self-Confidence: A good leader should be confident. Self-confidence is essential to motivate and boost the morale of the followers. A confident leader is able to create confidence among others.
- Decisiveness: A good leader should be able to take decisions according to the need of the circumstances. Decisions should be taken at the right time after the analysis of the alternatives available. Once decisions are taken, they should not be changed frequently in order to maintain stability.
- Social Skills: A good leader must be friendly and sociable with his followers. He should recognize the problems of followers and should help them in every possible way. He must possess the ability to win the confidence and loyalty of his subordinates.
A leader may not necessarily possess all the qualities of a good leader. But, an understanding of these qualities will help him to acquire the missing qualities through training, effort and practice.
Please Login to comment...